SingleTrack 6 MTB XC Race 2016: Stage 4 @ Kimberley, BC


Tuesday July 26th, I finished 39th place out of 46 in Solo Open Men Results, and in the timed descent I was 149th out of 163 overall solo men Results. It took me 3hrs & 22mins, It was a total of 36 Kms. Total elevation gain 3,796 Feet. My average heart rate was 156 bpm and max was 181 bpm. Check out my garmin data Here.

Single Track 3 day version was finished yesterday so today was just the six day racers. I saw a chance to pounce and attack off the start gun on the mass start as it was a very long climb up. I got up well past half of the entire field of racers and was on as my legs and lungs were feeling so strong and powerful. There was a section of rocks that some had to walk on, including me and I would imagine the group behind me would have been backed up on that section. Then there was a really fun fast and flowing short descent with high berms and pump track hills. We climbed back up for a couple km's and that led to a really technical steep and rocky loose dirt descent where you white knuckle down. I navigated my way down safely on it and then on the bottom smooth part I hit a tree stump and flew over the handle bars and landed hard on my right shoulder. I sat up and was in great pain as I could not even lift up my bike with my right arm so I spent a couple minutes to collect myself as lots of racers past me. I road one km to get to the first check point/aid station and I went straight to the medical girl and she checked to make sure nothing was broken and she suspected I had suffered an AC Joint sprain so she taped my right shoulder to hold the bones together. I continued on and just wanted to finish off the stage. Every bump and root I went over was really hurting my shoulder especially on the descent's. I some how clawed my way back and passed lots of more racers up the long switch back climb. All and all I had about a 20 minute loss of time from the crash and I was on pace to finish 34th but was really proud to gut it out and claw back to finish where I did. After the race I got treatment on the shoulder and got it re taped at the medical trailer.

The temperature was 24 deg C. A huge thanks to Transrockies for putting on the race and to all the volunteers for their efforts. I stayed at Best Western and it was great.


Pic by Raven Eye Photo


Pic by Raven Eye Photo


Pic by Raven Eye Photo


This was the mountain that we got to play on today. We started at the bottom of this. Pic by me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment